Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

"Isaiah Bond Shows Speed at NFL Combine, But Falls Short of Worthy's Pace in 40-Yard Dash"

 


INDIANAPOLIS – It’s not often that a player clocks an electrifying 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and still walks away disappointed. But for Texas wide receiver Isaiah Bond, that was exactly the case on Saturday.

Bond, who had confidently predicted he would set a new combine record, ran an officially timed 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash. His two unofficial times, displayed to the crowd inside Lucas Oil Stadium, came in at 4.40 and 4.41 seconds. While impressive, the performance fell short of Bond’s bold statement on Friday when he told reporters he was aiming to break Xavier Worthy’s record of 4.21, set just a year ago.read more...

“I’m going to break the record tomorrow, for sure,” Bond had declared. “I anticipate running 4.20 or possibly, if I’m feeling great, I might run a 4.1.”

Worthy, also a former Texas wide receiver, was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 28th overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Despite missing his ambitious target, Bond’s 4.39-second run still placed him among the fastest receivers at the combine. His Texas teammate, Matthew Golden, posted the fastest official time among wideouts on Saturday at 4.29 seconds. Tennessee’s Dont’e Thornton Jr. followed closely with a 4.30, while Florida’s Chimere Dike and Virginia Tech’s Jaylin Lane tied for third-fastest at 4.34 seconds. Bond’s time tied for ninth-fastest alongside Iowa State’s Jaylin Noel.

Bond had previously recorded a best training time of 4.23 seconds leading up to the combine. Entering the draft, he ranks as the No. 10 wide receiver on Mel Kiper Jr.’s latest ESPN Big Board.

When asked Friday what separates him from his fellow receiver prospects, Bond had confidently stated, “What separates me from the rest of the draft class is the sheer speed. There’s not a receiver that has the speed and capabilities that I have. It’s not just speed; I’m a complete wide receiver. I have amazing routes. If you watch the tape, you’ll see that.”

During the 2024 season, Bond was clocked at over 22 mph during a game against UTSA. He finished the season with 34 receptions for 540 yards and five touchdowns, solidifying his reputation as one of the most explosive playmakers in this year’s draft class.

While Bond didn’t achieve the historic time he envisioned, his performance still reinforced his status as a dynamic prospect heading into the 2025 NFL Draft.read more...

Post a Comment

0 Comments